The historic Turtle Creek Pump Station, opened in 1909, loyally provided the City of Dallas with water until 1954. For the next 27 years, the pump station stood unoccupied until 1981, when the Sammons Center for the Arts was founded. The intention was to refurbish the building and use it as a music and performing arts venue. But it didn’t happen overnight. The Sammons group spent half a decade raising $3 million to restore the pump station and a few years on the renovation. The center finally opened its doors in March 1988.
Meadows Hall, the facility’s largest space, can fit up to 300 guests for performances, rehearsals, seminars, or meetings. The 150-seat Kurth Hall is more intimate, with a vaulted ceiling and hardwood floors. In total, the Sammons Center is the home of 12 arts organizations, from choirs and orchestras to swing and ballroom dancing groups. Since 1989, the center has hosted a regular jazz series called Sammons Jazz, featuring two performance sets. The price of Sammons Jazz includes complimentary wine, beer, soft drinks, coffee, light appetizers, and valet parking.