From the Lawyer (Sponsored)
Donald E. Godwin, chairman and CEO for Godwin Lewis PC, is considered one of the most respected and tenacious trial lawyers in the United States. For almost four decades, he has tried significant jury cases in courts throughout the United States. He translates complex matters of law and fact into easily understandable language for courts and juries. His practice covers a broad range of areas with an emphasis on complex litigation, including oil and gas, environmental, fiduciary duties, will contests, major family law disputes, and business torts.
Godwin is the lead trial lawyer for Halliburton in connection with all litigation and investigations concerning the BP Gulf well blowout. The significance of this unprecedented litigation cannot be overstated as the claims are in the multi-billions of dollars. Hundreds of lawsuits have been filed on behalf of hundreds of thousands of claimants.
These claimants are represented by the Who’s Who of plaintiffs’ attorneys from the Gulf Coast and throughout the United States. Numerous governmental entities are conducting investigations into the Deepwater Horizon incident, including a special commission appointed by President Obama. Godwin is more than up to the task. This is not the first major battle he has fought on Halliburton’s behalf. He was also lead counsel for Halliburton in its asbestos and silica litigation and negotiated the global settlement of Halliburton’s approximately 382,000 asbestos claims throughout the United States in the course of approximately one year.
Godwin has also earned the reputation among corporate executives, their legal departments, and other highly visible individuals as a master negotiator where the risks are substantial and the future and successes of such clients are on the line. Godwin is used to fighting to vindicate his clients, and the Deepwater Horizon litigation is one more of those fights that he expects to win. At the end of the day, success in major cases comes down to hard work, thinking outside of the box, plenty of preparation, and good old fashioned trial lawyer skills. And those are areas in which Donald Godwin shines.
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2014®
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2013®
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2012®
- Designated as one of the “Top Five DFW Defenders,“ Dallas Business Journal, 2006, 2010
- 5-time selection to Thomson Reuters' "Top 100 Lawyers in Texas" as published in Texas Monthly & Super Lawyers magazines (2003-2006, 2012).
- 9-time selection to Thomson Reuters' "Top 100 Lawyers in Dallas/Fort Worth" as published in Texas Monthly & Super Lawyers magazines (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
- 3-time selection to "Who's Who in Energy" in Dallas, Houston, Austin, Denver, St. Louis, Columbus, San Antonio and Pittsburgh by the American City Business Journals, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Selected to Texas Super Lawyers Advisory Board, 2010-2013
- Received the Distinguished Alumni Award for Private Practice from SMU Dedman School of Law for 2003
- Chosen to the list of Thomson Reuters' "Texas Super Lawyers" as published in Texas Monthly and Super Lawyers magazines, 2003 - 2013
- Selected as one of the "Best Lawyers in Dallas" by D Magazine, 2003, 2005. 2009, 2011, 2012 & 2013
- Selected in the Dallas Business Journal's list of the Top 10 Litigators/Trial Lawyers in the D/FW Metroplex, 2003
- Board of Directors, Haggar Clothing Co., 2003 to 2005
- Chair, Dallas Symphony, AT&T Gala, 2004
- Corporate Underwriting Chair, Prevent Blindness and UT Southwestern Department of Ophthalmology, Eye Ball event, 2004 and 2005
- Executive Board Member, SMU Dedman School of Law, 2002 to present
- Outside Counsel and Trustee, Episcopal School of Dallas, 2002 to 2011
- Outside Counsel, Dallas Symphony Association, 2002 to 2006